What I'm Reading

Widget_logo

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sunday Silly Stories

So I really intended to blog more often this week than just Sunday and Monday, but other things just always seem to take precedence. We've had some interesting things this week. First and foremost, I had to take Quinn to the doctor's office Friday because he dislocated his elbow. I ran some errands that morning and had plans to meet Maureen and Sarah at Stevi B's for a cheap lunch. Quinn was doing pretty well all morning until we had to wait an extra 20 minutes for Maureen because one of her work supervisors went postal on her. I walked him around the dollar store to kill time and he started to tantrum as we were leaving. He dropped to the floor and started pitching a little fit. I swooped him up and carried him next door to take him to the bathroom. We went up to the front of the restaurant to wait. I held onto his hand to keep him from running crazy since he had gone from tantrum mode to silly mode. He swung around and dropped to the floor, still holding my hand. The next thing I know, he's crying and saying "hurt, hurt" while hilding his right arm. I thought he had just strained his shoulder or something, but he wouldn't stop saying that his arm hurt. Even more telling than that was that he ate lunch entirely with his left arm and wouldn't lift his right arm even to hold his drink. I called the doctor's office as soon as I got to the car, but they couldn't see him until 2:30, almost 2 hours later. I just started home, hoping he would be able to take a nap first at least. Well, he fell asleep in the car just before I got home, so I turned around and drove to the doctor's office. I didn't want to hurt him worse by trying to carry him inside and then taking him back out, so I just parked in the shade, rolled down the windows, and read a book (thank God I hit the library that morning!) until it was time for the appointment. Poor thing woke up once and immediately said, "Hurt" in the most pitiful voice before falling back asleep. When I took him inside, he was sopping wet from sweat and miserable every time he moved his arm. The doctor said his injury is called "nursemaid's elbow" and very common. He manipulated his elbow and said he felt it pop back in. He said it would probably be good as new in 2 minutes. I held Quinn while he cried and refused the doctor's offer of a lollipop. But, sure enough, two minutes later, he reached out with his right arm and popped that lollipop in his mouth. For the first time in an hour and a half, he said something other than "hurt." He looks up at me and says, "Hi Mama!" From then on, I couldn't tell there was anything ever wrong with him. Crazy! I've been assured by numerous other moms who've done this that I'm not in the running for worst mom of the year award. It's still hard not to feel crummy about it.

I wouldn't say this was to make up for that situation, but today Quinn got his first Build-A-Bear, a puppy he named "Bryce." Well, he just wanted to call him "Puppy," but I let him type some of his favorite letters on the computer to fill out the Birth Certificate. He came up with "BBRYDWE" or something like that. We "adjusted" it to the next closest name we could figure. As great as Quinn is at his letters, "BBRYDWE" is pretty hard to pronounce. He loves his puppy Bryce and got him a pair of electric guitar pajamas. It's a rite of passage now it seems for a kid to go to Build-A-Bear. So, now without further ado, here are a couple of silly stories.

Quinn has started to add “O’s” to his words unnecessarily. Hungry becomes hungry-o, cookie becomes cookie-o, happy becomes happio, yogurt (yogi) becomes yogi-o, etc. It is very funny to me. I knew I shouldn't have given him Cheerios the other day. Now I'll stick with the Kix. We've done more cereal than anything lately since our toaster broke. We got it for our wedding, and if I'm not mistaken, toasters have gotten a lot more expensive in the past four years. Geez! Looks like we might downsize to a two-slice toaster. Then we'll get back to toast, bagels, and frozen waffles. Speaking of which, I made breakfast for dinner the other night, which I loved when I was a kid. I swear I made the best pancakes I remember ever having. I wanted to make "MckPancakes," a super healthy recipe posted by MckMama, but I didn't have bananas. I had all the other crunchy granola ingredients, like flaxseed oil, flax meal, almond butter, etc. but no bananas. So I just dropped in a spoonful of flax meal in the pancake batter. I loved them, and I'm trying to sneak some healthy ingredients in foods as often as I can. Anyone with ideas (not drastic, I don't want to freak out Jalal), please let me know! (Boy that was quite a tangent, wasn't it?)

I get the hiccups really bad sometimes, so bad that it hurts a lot. Unfortunately, it sounds really loud, almost like I’m burping. Well, the last couple of times I’ve had them, Quinn has been around and thinks it’s funny. Now he’s started making fun of me. He thinks it’s hysterical; I don’t think it’s quite so funny. Even days after I get a bout of hiccups, he still walks around making fun of me.

OK, well, gotta go. Hope y'all are enjoying the Tonys, too! See you tomorrow for Not Me! Monday. Love, Us.

No comments: