What I'm Reading

Widget_logo

Friday, June 12, 2009

The Most Pitiful Boy in the World

Currently, the owner of that title is lying on the floor in front of me, crying over and over, "Pretzels? Please?" I've told him he can have pretzels if he sits in his highchair (they were already part of his lunch, so I'm not giving in). You'd think I was the worst mother in the world. He woke up asking for milk, and I brought him some when I went to get him. See? I'm nice!

On a more pleasant note, Quinn is starting to speak in more complete "sentences," like "Mama car," "Daddy car," and today, "all gone milk." Jalal's been working on him saying "my," like "my shoes." He's had a hard time with that, but when I got him up from his nap just now, he screwed up his face (he looks like he's concentrating so hard) and said, "My diedit (diaper)." I was so proud of him!

Maureen and her family (mom, dad, and little brother) all watched Quinn last night so Jalal and I could go on a date. It was great. We saw "Ghosts of Girlfriends Past" and ate at Saskatoon, a wild game restaurant. (In case you were curious, I had a sampler of lamb, duck, and beef, not crazy wild. Jalal finally decided on buffalo ribeye over the kangaroo, since they get kangaroo in more often than the buffalo ribeye.) Their wine list was good, too. We had to decide between two of our faves: Erath pinot noir and J. Lohr Twelve Oaks cabernet (J. Lohr won). All was delicious, and the movie was very funny. Matt McConoughey (sp?) lives up to his reputation again, though he looked a bit over-tan and rugged this film. We drove through a crazy fast storm on our way to the movie. I expected the cow from Twister to fly by any minute. Seriously, we saw a trash can, a baby carriage (empty, in front of a Goodwill), and a billboard (just the paper part) fly past us. A giant American flag was ripped halfway off the pole, and most of Haywood Road was without power after a power pole broke in half! I couldn't get close enough for a picture of that, but it was crazy! Our date must have been meant to be because the restaurant was just one building away from where the pole snapped and therefore kept electricity. When we went to pick up Quinn, he was not at all interested in leaving with us, saying "NO!" and clinging to Maureen when I tried to take him. Sheez kid! He did eventually come with us, obviously, but I guess that means he had a good time. Except randomly on the way home, he started to say "cheeseburger and fries." Hmmm.

Well, I have to have to have to finish my edit before end of day today. Tomorrow we go to Athens for our friends' daughter's 2nd birthday. And next week, I make my catering debut with cake balls at Maureen's sister's rehearsal dinner. Wish me luck!
Love, Us.

No comments: