What I'm Reading

Widget_logo

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Funny Stories

Okay, my plan tonight is just to jot down a few quick stories that I've been meaning to share about Quinn. No, they are not necessarily in chronological order, so just bear with me.
Quinn has had a nickname for Elmo since the very beginning of his hard-core speaking life. It's "Momo." Lots of other things have been called "Momo" at times, including Jesus (red robe) and Veggie Tales movies (cartoons). So last week, Jalal and I got Quinn a few pairs of $1 socks at the front of Target. One pair had Elmo on them. As we were checking out, our cashier was talking to Quinn and said her favorite character was Elmo. I asked Quinn, "What do you call Elmo?" He said, clear as day, "Elmo." I can't remember the last time I felt so stupid in public. I said, "What about Momo?" Again, he said, "Elmo." Ok, fine. Smart aleck. Ironically, he hasn't said Elmo since then. Only Momo. Does anyone else ever feel like your kid tries to make you look stupid? I get that often. I can't wait til he brings home his science homework and asks me to help him. Good thing I have very little pride anymore.
Today we were in Bed, Bath, and Beyond, trying to spend a gift card and failing miserably. Quinn was so cranky that we let him out of the cart and walked alongside Jalal. At one point, he started walking across an aisle and said, again clear as day, "One, two, three, GO!" I know he knows the word "two" pretty well because every time I say, "You can have one cookie," he says "Two?" But I've never heard him count like that. It was so freakin' cute.
It wasn't too much later that he started running his free hand along everything he passed. We told him he had to put his other hand, the hand not holding Daddy's hand, into his pocket. Well, it took him a minute to figure out how to do that, but once he did, he kept it in there until we would stop and look at something or he wanted to sit in a beach chair. Then he would put his hand back in his pocket as we walked. It was so stinkin' adorable.
Yesterday we went to a baby shower for a girl from my church. I was so happy to have had an excuse to buy cute little girl clothes. Anyway, Quinn took a while to warm up to people, but he eventually started running around the kitchen and dining room with the other kids. Now note that he has always called me "Mama." But he overheard an older little girl, maybe 4 or 5, called out for her "Mommy." All of a sudden, I hear Quinn from the other room yell "Mommy!" I went in and said, "What did you call me?" He said, "Mommy!" I told him you don't call me Mommy, you call me Mama. He said, "Mama!" That's right. It kind of stuck, though, and now every now and then he'll call me "Mommy." Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I could swear he's making fun of me whenever he does. Is it wrong to be so suspicious of such a young child? Yeah, probably. Okay, that's all I can remember for now. Hope you have enjoyed this version of "Sunday Silly Stories." Love, Us.

1 comment:

trishandwade said...

You should totally do "Sunday Silly Stories" and use Mr. Linky to get more people to do it. I'll do it.