What I'm Reading

Widget_logo

Monday, May 18, 2009

Baby Shakespeare

Okay, so he's not writing poetry yet, but I really have to take a moment to brag on my boy. We're sitting here in the middle of about three different arguments at once: you need to eat your lunch, don't throw your milk on the floor, and you're just going to have to poop in your diaper because I can't help you "bobby" any more than I already have (yes, that again). Then he grabs for a board book about Mickey Mouse and says "Mickeys"! He's said it a few times before, but this was pretty clearly stated. Then--and this part I'm not bragging about--he says it over and over again. You know how your kids will say something so many times you just say "Okay, enough already!"? Well, after 28 "Mickeys" in the span of about 16 seconds, that's when i said it. But then he redeems himself. He points to a coupon I have sitting on the couch and says "O." Oh, what? I say. "O" he repeats, pointing to the word "off." Didn't know he knew that one, so I say "Alright, gimme a high five!" "Nah-no." Fine. Then he points to the settings on his high chair and says "Five" over and over again. Sure enough, that's a 5. I thought he only knew 5 as all the fingers on my hand held out. Another high-five denied. I guess while I'm freakin' out proud, he's just like, "Whatever, Mom." So in terms of letters he can identify and say almost all the time, we've got A, B, C, D, H, I, O, and Y. Random. So that's why I want to get him into a 2-year-old pre-K program in August. I have gotten some advice that he will pick up more bad habits and illness than he will new skills (at least, the ones we want him to learn). Does anyone have any experience with early pre-K programs or Mother's Morning Out groups? By the way, I'm convinced that he knows his letters not because of nightly storytime (which we skip more oftent than not) but because of his early on devotion to Wheel of Fortune. Who says TV rots your brain? Now, if I could just get him to stop saying "I is." Love, Us.

No comments: