What I'm Reading

Widget_logo

Thursday, July 10, 2008

California

My little monster is unpacking a box of CDs. Isn't that nice? He helps without being asked. Hmmm. So I knew I wouldn't get to finish that post earlier this week. Since I've had a lot of people asking about Jalal's mom, here's the scoop, along with a brief recap of California. Louella was very happy to see us. She spoiled Quinn by feeding him ice cream a few times. I kept my mouth shut, as I should. That's about all she eats now, since all dietary restrictions have been lifted. Good for her. Jehad, Jalal's oldest brother, the one Louella is living with, said she was so looking forward to seeing us that she had lots of energy the week before we came. But she didn't have much left when we got there. We had little bits of time when she was really "there," but not many. We took care of a lot of business, like picking out her cemetery plot and funeral services, going over the financial situation, and sorting through her old house. The three sisters-in-law even went through all her jewelry (so sad). I guess that was necessary, but it was also depressing. Anyway, it was great to see all the kids, even though my 2-year-old nephew, Brendan, says, "I don't have to" to everyone. We did have some fun, like going to Malibu Beach, Chinatown, and Olvera Street (Little Mexico). And we had some major milestones, like Quinn's first tooth (finally!!). He also learned how to wave (so charming!) and started to clap. Louella's caretaker, Gina, fell in love with Quinn and he returned the favor. The second to last night we were there, Jalal made a special dinner for his mom (and everyone else). He plated hers up all fancy and added a handmade tomato rose. It was beautiful. He's such a good son. So then we had to say goodbye. That was tough. We each took turns spending some time with Louella in her room. I think Jalal and I both spent the whole hour it took to get back to the hotel crying.
Jalal heard from his brother a couple of days ago. Jehad says she's not doing very well. They took her off the long-release morphine, which was giving her hallucinations. Now, on quick-release morphine and sedatives, she's pretty out of it most of the time. He said she had been sleeping for the last 24 hours. So, keep her in your prayers.
We're going to a baby shower today for my friend Laura New. I'm so excited to see her. I can't wait till she has the baby.
Yesterday was the day Quinn broke tooth #2! He went down for a late nap after we got home from his eye doctor appointment (all good for now), and about 45 minutes later, he woke up screaming. After he refused to eat more than a couple of miles, I knew there was something wrong. Sure enough, his other bottom tooth was popping through! He's starting to catch up with the teeth. Well, I better get going so I can pack up the car. More later. Love, Us.

No comments: