What I'm Reading

Widget_logo

Friday, January 22, 2010

M is for Mmmm

It's been a crazy couple of weeks, let me tell you. We spent a couple of days in Charleston, I survived the first two migraines of this pregnancy, I fought valiently against what seemed like a hopeless work deadline, Quinn threw up four times in one afternoon (only one time in the toilet), and he's decided that he refuses to sleep like he's always done. Yeah, that about covers it. His sleep habits are all out of whack, and I'm not sure why. We had been using a doorknob cover on the inside of his door so he couldn't come out until we were ready for him in the mornings, but for naps, he would sleep fine with the door left open a crack. When he got sick last week, I took off the cover so he could come get me if he got sick again. I guess he liked his taste of freedom. He did fine without it the first couple of days. For the past 4 or 5 days, though, he has been getting up and coming downstairs instead of sleeping. So I told him I had to put back on the doorknob cover. Well, that has added a new element to the nap and bedtime mix: screaming. It has been a struggle to balance leaving his door open with the risk of 40 minutes or more of screaming and crying when we close it. ("Take it off!!") I don't think it's nightmares because he never gets to sleep, and once he does, he's fine. He's already got a couple of his molars, but again, he's not cranky or anything until we close his door, so I don't think that's to blame. I think he just doesn't want his doorknob cover and likes to be able to come and go when it pleases him. Last night was horrible. We fought about staying in bed for over an hour, then he got up screaming at just after midnight, finally came to bed with me (oh, fun), then started getting really squirmy when Jalal got home at 4. I went downstairs to sleep, he followed me, I sent him back upstairs, and he bothered Jalal for the next couple hours. Now Jalal is exhausted, and he has to work all night. I finally grabbed a little nap this afternoon, but now I feel hungover. I hope he gets over this before Maddie comes, or that whole sleeping for two hours at a time with a new baby thing is going to be extra complicated by this little problem.

On a positive note, Quinn is still stinking adorable when he's not driving me up the wall (we're at maybe a 30%/70% mix of cute to "I'm about to lock you in the closet"). Today, the drycleaners gave Quinn a lollipop. He was so happy. She even opened it for him. As we drove away, he tasted it and said, "Mmm, tastes like chocolate milk!" (It was a chocolate Tootsie Roll pop.) Just because it's cute, here's the rest of what he said over the next couple of minutes: M says Mmm, mmm, mmm! Chocolate lollipop. Tastes like chocolate milk! D says De-licious!
Hah! Isn't that great? He cracks me up. He also still sounds like a little old lady half the time. "Oh, dear!" and "It's not quite right" are two of his favorites right now. Anyway, I better go now. It's almost dinner time! Pot roast with extra onions. Yummy! Love, Us.

No comments: