What I'm Reading

Widget_logo

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Everybody's A Critic--Or The Strong-Willed Child

We have a stubborn child. Don't know where he gets that from. I swear (with all the self-awareness I can muster) that I am not that stubborn. Jalal's pretty easygoing, too. So somehow we got a stubborn as a mule kid. Today, when he got up from a nap, I had every good intention of taking him outside to play. We've got sidewalk chalk on the brain right now, and Jalal even drew him a hopscotch court this morning, so I though some drawing and jumping might be in order. Well, he starts off by asking to watch Bob and Larry (VeggieTales movie, for those of you not familiar). I said, wouldn't you rather go outside and play? No, he wants to watch the blueberry (Madame Blueberry). Fine. I take it to put it in the DVD player, and he rushes to take it away from me, saying, "NO!" Fine. (Teeth clenched on that "fine.") Then I say, let's change your diaper and go outside for a little while.
"No, my diaper."
"I know, honey, but we aren't going outside in a dirty diaper."
(Going over to the window and hiding against the wall) "My stinky bobby [b.m.]."
"Well, yeah, I'm not going to claim that one. You can help me change your diaper, okay?"
"No, mys." ("Mys" [m-eye-s] is his word for "Mine")
"Fine, but we aren't going out or watching a movie until we change your diaper."
Captain Distractable wimpers into the window blinds for a while and then finds Lincoln Logs. (Notice the liberal use of the word "Fine." Sometimes I mix it up a little with "whatever" or "I really don't care," but you can tell the gist is the same.)

The other day, Quinn got himself a little worked up before his nap and was having a hard time going to sleep. He was all kinds of hysterical, and I offered to sit down next to his bed for a little while until he calmed down. We haven't had to sit with him in months to get him to sleep, but he was really upset. I started stroking his forehead and singing along with his music. He immediately turned to me and said, "No singing, Mama." Jeez! So I stop singing. Then he starts tugging at his diaper and says he needs a new one. I grab a new diaper and start to change him. He freaks out and tries to grab it. He says, "My diaper. Quinn do it." I told him if he wanted to be so stinking independent, he could go in the potty! I fought him for a minute, tried to let him help, but it wasn't good enough. I finally just changed his diaper against his will. By then, he was screaming his head off again, and I was so frustrated that I couldn't sit there and calm him down. So I just told him to go to sleep and shut his door. He eventually wound down and cried himself to sleep. Did I mention that he was stubborn? Good grief. Anyway, I know I usually offer some cute, funny stuff to balance out the crazy-mama ranting, but I just don't have it in my right now! Maybe tomorrow. Love, Us.

No comments: