What I'm Reading

Widget_logo

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snow Day

Yes, it actually snowed in Greenville today. I only saw the remnants, a few flakes gathered on my car. It was supposed to be snow showers all day, but I didn't see any fall or accumulate. So Quinn and I drove to Spartanburg to play. We went to Cleveland Park, and it was completely covered in snow. Quinn played for a little bit, but he didn't seem crazy about the cold. It was so pretty to look at though. Then we warmed up, dried off, and had lunch at Jalal's restaurant. Quinn got his usual treatment, with all the girls fawning over him. He was pretty tired, though, so he acted up a little. I was ready to pack up the food and go, but Jalal said not to worry about it. The place was empty and nobody seemed to mind, but I just hate when he starts screaming in the middle of a meal.
Part of the problem might have been that I forgot his pacifier. Now the story is this. Quinn has only been using his paci for naps, bedtime, and in times of extreme stress (read: hysteria) for months now. I'm trying to get him off it entirely, but I don't want to push him too much. On Thursday, he was coughing pretty bad, deep in his chest, but he didn't seem to have any other symptoms. I had to rock with him a little that night when he woke up crying. The next morning, he had a fever of 99.9 and seemed to be having some ragged breathing. I called the doctor's office and they said to bring him in. The nurse practitioner was about to finish up examining him when he started coughing. She said, "Well I was going to say he just had a cold, but that's croup." Great. Anyway, he got a prescription steroid and started on some Benadryl. He was pretty miserable for about the rest of the weekend, though it did get better and worse and back again for a while. It was so sad. We were scared to put him down in his crib because they say it's dangerous if you can't hear his breathing change. Anyway, he slept in our room that night, and I tried to get him to nap downstairs with me. Mostly he cried and dozed off and on, almost always on my lap. I had huge wet spots all over me from the drooling. I felt so bad that he felt so bad. He still has a runny nose and he still coughs when he gets himself worked up, but he is MUCH better now. I'm so glad.
Well, I'm going to check out now and work for a little before bed. More soon. Love, Us.

No comments: