What I'm Reading

Widget_logo

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

In Memory

Louella Ruth Halaby, an incredible woman and my mother-in-law, lost her battle with cancer on Sunday night. I am so thankful that she is no longer in pain, for her suffering was more than anyone could bear in her final days. Jalal, Quinn, and I had the wonderful and heartbreaking opportunity to say our good-byes to Louella less than a month ago. She was so proud of her three sons, and for those of you who know Jalal, you know she had much to be proud of. She was amazed that so many people she didn't even know had been praying for her, and according to my sister-in-law, she got some comfort from the family's prayers with her during the past week. Evidently, she was most comforted by the CD that we made for Quinn when he was born, a CD he falls asleep to every night. The first song on it, Iz's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" mix, will be played at her funeral, as she mustered the strength to mouth the words even when she could no longer speak. Of course, we are all in such mourning for our great loss, even as we celebrate her life and rejoice that she is now with her parents and her husband. There is much more I could say, but I really can't cry anymore. My head is killing me and I ought to get to sleep. Quinn and I leave Thursday morning for California. Jalal leaves Friday morning from New York (work training). The viewing is Friday from 5 to 9 p.m., and the funeral is Saturday at noon, both at Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills in Los Angeles. The family asks that in lieu of flowers a donation be made to the American Cancer Society. A memorial fund has been set up in the name of Louella Ruth Halaby. For those of you who are interested, I've copied the information below. I'll try to post next week if I'm able. Thank you all for the compassionate outpouring of love and support. We need it and appreciate it. Love, Us.

DONATIONS: American Cancer Society Memorial Program
San Gabriel Valley Unit
50 North Hill Ave. Suite 200
Pasadena, CA 91106
Make Check Payable to American Cancer Society and on the memo line write "In memoriam Louella Ruth Halaby"
DONATIONS ON LINE
www.cancer.org

2 comments:

Leah said...

Barbie!!! I'm so glad i found you on here! (it's LEAH and i lost all the numbers in my phone and when you called it was off so there was no number on record!) i would LOVE to get together, maybe friday afternoon, but PLEASE call and leave your number so i have it! I am so sorry that this happened. PS i love your blog!

Leah said...

oops. in rereading your blog, i realise you are leaving TOMORROW. So...still call and leave your number and tell Jalal that i am thinking about him and his family and will pray as well*